Life is a Garden Party

Friday, September 19, 2014

Sum & Substance

The largest of my hostas is aptly labeled Sum & Substance
which describes my life's gardening experience, in essence.

Using my parent's experience (sum & substance) through illustration,
and now wishing as a kid I had paid more attention,
equals about the whole (sum & substance) total of what I know,
then fitting what I know (sum & substance) into poetry somehow.
The sum of my experience might be referred to as having some sum & substance.

Observing the elements (sum & substance) of weather,
pertaining to gardening is rather
an unique experience (sum & substance) having lasting value.
Something passed on through generations - now there's some (sum) value.
The sum of all my observing might be referred to as having some sum & substance.

Learning from many (sum) gardening magazines and books (substance),
I seem to have a large quantity (sum & substance), take a look,
adds yearly information (sum & substance) to what I know -
amounting to brain matter (sum & substance)...I have been told.
At times, the sum of my learning might be referred to as having some sum & substance.

Collecting found materials (sum & substance) in my yard
become objects of worth (sum & substance).  I'm not too proud,
to recycle other people's discards (sum & substance), for instance,
into something of recycled value having sum and substance.
The sum of my diverse collecting might be referred to as having some sum & substance.

* * * * *

One's experiences makes us who we now are.
Either optimism or pessimism we bear.
If we tend to be pessimistic,
we can learn to be optimistic.
One simple way is to
count our blessings anew.

Observing one's own surroundings
is one way to count our blessings
for when God created the world
He had us in His mind, we're told.
God created our world with beauty
so our hearts would be filled with beauty.

All of life we're learning something new.
Everyday we learn or see something new.
Every time we read our Bible there's something new
for us to ponder and wonder about anew.
Commit yourself to reading the Bible
for God's promises will always enable.

Be careful what you end up collecting in this life.
If you collect the world's garbage you'll be full of strife.
One bit of the world's garbage is "oh my god"
which is so defaming to the one true God.
Eradicate that phrase completely from your house
and start a campaign in your family to douse.

You shall not misuse the name of the Lord your God,
for the Lord will not hold anyone guiltless
who misuses his name.
Exodus 20:7


No comments:

Post a Comment