Life is a Garden Party

Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Me, Me, Me

Summer days brings hours of berry picking.
Sweetened by the sun, just right for picking.
Best eaten alfresco
in the great outdoors,
though the intent is to fill the freezer -
to enjoy the fruits of summer this winter.

Quiet, except for the hum of the bees.
Warm, though there's a breeze through the leaves of the trees.
Succulent, these pretty round jewels in red, black, or blue.
Antioxidants designed to give good health to you.
Tasty, one for now and two for later.
Enjoying the luscious fruits of summer.

The quiet is rudely dispelled
when someone repeatedly yells
"me, me, me".
Someone I can't see.
This "me, me, me"
is from someone greedy.

When this someone was a baby
their plea was "me, me, me".
Now someone is grown and their "me, me, me"
is loud, rude, increasingly greedy.
This someone had found the berries
and doesn't want to share, not hardly.

"Me, me me" as in mine.
"Me, me me" is whined.
Though not human, this someone
acts just like us humans often.
For more often than not our words, thoughts, and deeds
center around me, me, me; yes, indeed.

There, up in the tree top is this noisemaker.
Though, here, in my heart I'm often self-centered.
Seed eating birds have found the berries.
Greed in my heart often tarries.
Birds have much to teach us.
To share without making a fuss.

* * * * *

Greed, at its basic definition is idolatry; it's putting self first.
We learn greed is never satisfied, it leaves us with an unfulfilled thirst.
There's much that lures.
We want more, more, more.

The opposite of selfish greed
is to plant unselfish seeds
that will greatly encourage someone in need -
rather physical or emotional needs.

A helping hand, a listening ear,
transportation somewhere - each is dear.
You need not expend a lot of money,
time spent turns someone's spirit of gloom sunny.

Being consumed with "me, me, me" becomes quite unfulfilling.
Being concerned about another's comfort becomes fulfilling.
Don't be like the bird who doesn't want to share.
Exchange greed for an outlook that shows you care.

Watch out!  Be on your guard against all kinds of greed;
a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.
Luke 12:15

But among you there must not be even a hint...of greed,
because these are improper for God's holy people.
Ephesians 5:3

Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:
...greed, which is idolatry.
Colossians 3:5

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

Re greed, I've had my eye on a certain wind chime for more than a year.  I even had the money put aside for more than a year but that money was just spent on gardening supplies, including potting soil which is used to share transplants with others.  Though I'm happy to give away transplants, the greedy part of me still wants that wind chime!?!?

Re berries, off in a few minutes to take homemade jellies to a neighbor for her birthday.  She's about 90.  It's a lesson in listening ears as she's not able to hear me.  She's an amazing lady with a fascinating life story, appropriately named Grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment