Life is a Garden Party

Saturday, December 12, 2015

Memory Tree

 Memory Tree

Time to get out the Christmas tree
and decorate with memories
for most of the ornaments were given to me
while others were homemade and crafted for me.

There are crocheted cotton angels from mom
and her plastic canvas ornaments which don
many of the branches each year.
These ornaments have become dear.

Many ornaments were given
representing angels from heaven.
I know for a fact the ones giving
were friends disguised as angels from heaven.

Some from nieces and nephews
made from pine cones and lots of glue.
More are added every year.
Each one becoming more dear.

Other ornaments were made by me
from a little bit of nothing, you see.
Clothespin angels and cross-stitched poinsettias look swell
and a little ribbon with some glue make the tree sparkle.

Every year more Christmas ornaments are given and received
making a special holiday memory for me.
I just received three more today
though Christmas is two weeks away.

And every year I make more ornaments to give away
to friends, family, and you if you visit today.
This year crocheted snowflakes.
Almost 100 to date.

I’m beginning to forget
who it was that gave me what.
Should I make a list?
Will I then find my list?

Irregardless, the ornaments are reminders
as every year they are unwrapped from tissue paper
of old and new friends and family I hold dear
and of God’s faithfulness to us this past year.

* * * * *

I pray you have sweet memories
as you decorate your tree.
Does your tree remind you of Jesus
when you decorate it for Christmas?

As sweet memories from childhood
when the first time you understood
the real meaning of Christmas –
the birth of baby Jesus.

Perhaps your tree is decorated with a star
that led the wise men from distant lands afar.
Do you have decorations in gold
that remind you of their gift of gold?

Do angel choirs sing
with "good news" ringing
from your tree
for all to see?

Maybe there’s a heart-shaped ornament
to remind you of what God’s gift meant?
For Christmas is love
from heaven above.

Do you hang bells
that foretell
“glory to God in the highest”
from your tree’s green branches?

Are there sheep hanging upon the branches?
Maybe doves in droves your tree enhances?
A dove represents peace.
Christmas is about peace.

Maybe you decorate with a cross
to remember the price it cost
when Jesus gave His life
to give us eternal life.

However you decorate your tree
I’m sure it is lovely
and makes a memory
of friends and family.

Then all the trees of the forest
will sing for joy.
Psalm 96:12

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

Follow Life Is a Garden Party on facebook.


No comments:

Post a Comment