Life is a Garden Party

Sunday, May 22, 2016

Fence

Fence

According to the weather report
rain for many days in the sky lurks.
So my brother comes to plow the garden
then I rake it over to remove the stones
for Jack Frost also heaved
(stones) when he colored leaves.

How else do you explain where more and more stones came from?
Each year they seem to multiply adding up to a ton.
As I child this chore was a pain.
Now bending over is for my gain.
Though bending over is good for me
and free exercise, I'm still too heavy.

Then it's time to put up the fence
after I pound in the stakes thence.
Years ago George C. offered assistance.
His perfection was patient persistence.
How come we don't appreciate
our helpers until it's too late?

Today a strong wind would surely blow down my attempts.
The struggle to put it up seems to cause me to vent.
A feeble attempt compared to what used to be
for a perfectionist was my neighbor, George C.
Putting up the fence will be a reminder each year
of a neighbor whose memory has now become dear.

Now the fence is up
but I can't finish up
for in Zone 5 planting gardens
takes place Memorial weekend.
The hard part is done.
Planting will be fun.

* * * * *

I was reminded of the story of rebuilding the wall in Nehemiah.
The prophet's enemies were also known to vent loudly against Nehemiah.
In fact Tobiah ridiculed the rebuilding of the wall and joshed,
quite seriously, a fox could break down the stone wall if it was pushed.

Do you know any Tobiah's
who have a defeatist attitude?
Worry is having a defeatist attitude.
In fact worry will bring on a sour mood.

Worry seems to be a learned response
passed down through generations oft.
It's doubting God's goodness,
His daily faithfulness.

Faith takes a backseat when worry consumes
for faith lifts one up while worry brings doom.
The two cannot exist together.
They're like fair and stormy weather.

When worry comes
the evil one
has won
so run.

Just boldly proclaim,
Away from me Satan”.
He does what he is told.
Stand in faith and be bold.

...if even a fox climbed up on it,
he would break down their wall of stones!
Nehemiah 4:3

Do not fret – it leads only to evil.
Psalm 37:8

Away from me, Satan!”
Matthew 4:10

Be self-controlled and alert.
Your enemy the devil prowls around like a roaring lion
looking for someone to devour.
Resist him, standing firm in the faith.

I Peter 5:8-9


To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

Follow Life Is a Garden Party on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment