Life is a Garden Party

Thursday, July 13, 2017

July

July

Those lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer (by Nat King Cole)
when the garden displays a rainbow of colors

when we celebrate July 4th
our freedom and our nation's birth

when each morning we can't wait to see
what has bloomed, we're filled with glee

when birds serenade with song
early morning and all day long

when bees hum merrily
among the gaiety

when butterflies flutter here and there
sampling the tastiest fare

when cumulus clouds float dreamily overhead
or maybe there's an afternoon shower instead

when the rainbow of flowers
welcome afternoon showers

when berries ripen under the sun
and taste sweet on your tongue

when blossoms of yellow and gold
fill the garden with wealth like gold

when vegetables grow by inches each day
and you harvest almost every day

when a breeze feels refreshing
after non-stop sweating

when grass grows despite the heat
and children run with bare feet

when sprinklers produce laughs
and children forfeit baths

when there's a perfumed scent
that seems to be heavensent

when fireflies flash sos,
when it's bedtime, at last

oh, the joys of summer
when life seems funner.

* * * * *

If your house
is like my house
there's much work to be done
under the summer sun.

But a lesson I'm learning
is to take time for enjoying.
I sit outside to compose.
About what? Who knows?

Today I watched an ant transporting a dead moth.
Though I didn't look closely, I assume via his mouth.
I thought how strong the ant must be
for the moth was much larger than he.

"Mighty men of valor" came to mind.
Let's see what God places on my mind
for I don't know what I'm going to write
when I start a rhyme on paper white.

Valor means courageous, brave, gallant, a hero.
Cancer victims or those terminal come to mind or
those with limitations rather mental or physical
are courageous as each and every day is a struggle.

Those who care for these loved ones are courageous too
for every day brings a challenge that is new.
They all bravely face unlimited burdens with grace
and are often seen with a smile on their face.

Of course, those mighty people of valor in the military.
Each and every one, rather home or abroad, allow us to be free.
And those who protect us in our towns
for we know there's much evil to be found.

These and other courageous, brave, gallant heroes
who quite often are forgotten, unsung heroes
survive each day by God's grace
in every earthly place and in every race.

And the angel of the Lord appeared unto him,
and said unto him, The Lord is with thee,
thou mighty man of valor.
Judges 6:12 (KJV)

And they helped David against the band of the rovers;
for they were all mighty men of valor,
and were captains in the host.
I Chronicles 12:21 (KJV)

To read about other mighty men of valor,
check out these chapters and many more:
I Chronicles 7
I Chronicles 12
I Chronicles 26
II Chronicles 17











To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

Follow Life Is a Garden Party on facebook.



No comments:

Post a Comment