Life is a Garden Party

Thursday, January 3, 2019

Catalogs



Catalogs

Every December temptation arrives
when Burpee's, Gurney's, Garden's Alive,
Jung Seeds and Henry Fields fill my mailbox.
Each year my mailbox is stuffed with lots.

There's Brecks, Dutch Gardens,
Parks Seeds, Roots & Rhizomes,
van Bourgondien, Bluestone Perennials,
Oakes Daylilies – my favorite of all.

This year there was also a Shumway's, a Thompson & Morgan,
a Pinetree Garden Seeds and a Totally Tomatoes.
But because it's December filled with festivities
there isn't a minute to look at flower nurseries.

My dream of purple bearded iris interspersed with orange poppies,
of an oak leaf hydrangea - which would make me very happy,
of walla walla sweet onions and more asparagus
will have to wait until after Christmas is over, I guess.

Today's the day!
Hooray! Hooray!
I want, I want, I want...
each heartbeat seems to pant.

Today as I take time to look,
each catalog becomes a wish book
and in each wish
there's a promise.

A promise that spring will come
after the cold snow is gone.
A promise that life will go on
as each plant matures and blossoms.

I dream of what my garden could look like
if I were to buy whatever I like.
As that's not possible the dream will continue
for many years as I add more plants to view.

In my mind I limit myself to one item on each page
which I'm sure would add up to more than a yearly wage.
Though the temptation is great
I've learned I'll have to wait.

Because a lesson I have learned
that quite often for what I've yearned
is shared when someone gives to me
making a lovely memory.

When all is looked at today
I've ordered vegetables for May
and some helpful organic insecticides
for in organic gardens insects abide.

My dream still lives of a sanctuary,
without weeds - which are quite contrary,
where my Eden would grow weedless turf,
where every plant is picture perfect.

Dreams keep ones hopes alive
for don't we often strive
for perfection
in our garden.

* * * * *

Life will never be perfect,
as no one is perfect.
If not for God's unfailing faithfulness
we'd all give up under daily stress.

Focus on God and His faithfulness
versus on your personal mess.
You'll find you'll have much less stress
when in the Lord you find rest.

O Lord, you are my God;
I will exalt you and praise your name,
for in perfect faithfulness
you have done marvelous things,
things planned long ago.
Isaiah 25:1

You have been a refuge for the poor,
a refuge for the needy in his distress,
a shelter from the storms
and a shade from the heat.
Isaiah 25:4

Thank you, everyone, who took time to read this story.
Should you need a gift for a gardening friend,
Life Is a Garden Party is available as follows:

Life Is a Garden Party, Vol III
is available via CreateSpace.

Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
is available via WestBow Press.

Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
is available via Amazon.







No comments:

Post a Comment