Life is a Garden Party

Tuesday, September 10, 2019

September 10


Was looking for a story to post this week when found this one, today Tuesday, September 10, 
although this story was written years ago.

September 10

After several chilly, cloudy, sunless days,
the sun peaked out for a moment on Friday
beckoning visitors to take a tour
before rain showers begin to pour.

The butterfly bush begins the tour
where winged creatures are often lured.
Today there's monarchs and bees
and hummingbirds come to tease.

Are they filling up before they venture south?
They certainly will be missed in the north.
I'm off to get my camera
to enjoy their pictures this winter.

They must have eyes in the back of their heads
or maybe they caught an odd scent instead
for before I could zoom
they were airborne - zoom, zoom.

The sunflowers beckon next.
Bees never seem to take a rest.
All day long here they reside
on days when the sun doesn't hide.

The bees have an important job to do
beginning long before the morning dew
dissipates,
as if in a race.

A photo shows three or four bees
working side-by-side happily
always sharing
while humming.

Today these yellow sunflowers have another guest.
This Friday afternoon yellow finches come on a quest
to dine to their stomach's content
on the sunflower head's content.

Though I try to take a picture,
they're quickly off to the neighbors
until I turn my back on them
then they suddenly fly in again.

Shy
guys
these feathered friends
with yellow and black plumes.

Checking out the zinnia border,
I see monarchs. Three...four...or more.
Flying flowers these monarchs are
for when I zoom in, they zoom afar.

They're seen sharing with the bees
though sometimes they disturb the bees.
The bees are as happy as can be
heard humming loudly and merrily.

In a few short weeks they'll be sorely missed,
these butterflies and bees who today kiss
a zinnia of every color
in this colorful flower border.

Today visiting hummers are attracted to me
as I'm wearing a red top with sleeves.
Just inches away from my face, I hear loud humming
and I can feel a breeze from their fluttering.

It's magical to stand among
winged creatures having such fun
who all around me float, buzz, and hum
this afternoon under the welcome sun.

Another visitor on today's tour
was a dragonfly who perhaps was lured
by the rainbow of delights
under the sunlight bright.

Yes, red and yellow
attracts winged fellows
as does pink, purple, orange, and gold, too -
and, of course, morning glory blue.

Though not seen today,
on other sunny days
I've seen a hummingbird moth
as the butterfly bush it sought.

No pictures taken to date
as it zooms through the gate
faster than I can zoom
the camera zoom.

A lovely afternoon, it was,
trying to capture bees that buzz,
butterflies who act shy,
and hummers zooming nigh.

Soon these special flying friends
will float along on the wind
on an adventure southward bound
bringing delight to another town.


* * * * *

How wonderful that God created our beautiful earth
where bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, and dragonflies bring mirth
as they entertain us each summer here in the north.
And I know whatever turf
you happen to inhabit
gloriously exhibits
wondrous winged creatures births.

How Great Thou Art
by Carl Boberg

O Lord, my God, when I in awesome wonder,
Consider all the worlds Thy hands have made;
I see the stars, I hear the rolling thunder,
Thy pow'r throughout the universe displayed.

When thru the woods and forest glades I wander,
And hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;
When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur
And hear the brook and feel the gentle breeze.

And when I think that God, His Son not sparing,
Sent Him to die, I scarce can take it in;
That on the cross my burden gladly bearing,
He bled and died To take away my sin.

When Christ shall come with shout of acclamation
And take me home, what joy shall fill my heart!
Then I shall bow in humble adoration,
And there proclaim, "My God, how great Thou art!"

Refrain:
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great thou art!
Then sings my soul, my Savior God, to Thee,
How great Thou art! How great thou art!

How great you are, O Sovereign Lord!
There is no one like you,
and there is no God but you.
II Samuel 7:22

Ah, Sovereign Lord, you have made the heavens and the earth
by your great power and outstretched arm.
Nothing is too hard for you...
O great and powerful God,
whose name is the Lord Almighty,
great are your purposes
and mighty are your deeds.
Jeremiah 32:17-19

There's something even more wonderful
than having a flower garden full
of pollinators
each and every summer.
It's knowing that God call us His children.
We, though quite rebellious, are God's children.

Here's a variation of the above chorus:

Then I shall sing, how wonderful God is
that I am His, that I am His.
Then I shall sing, how wonderful God is
That I am His, that I am His!

How great is the love the Father has lavished on us,
that we should be called children of God!
And that is what we are!
I John 3:1

To all who received him,
to those who believed in his name,
he gave the right to become children of God.
John 1:12


Life Is a Garden Party
is available via Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment