Life is a Garden Party

Sunday, May 31, 2020

Turn back to God: PRAY

Turn Back to God:  PRAY

Since hearing of the riots - again - which have accomplished nothing for the good in the past, the phrase from the Christmas carol "I heard the bells on Christmas Day" has been running through my mind:
And in despair I bowed my head
There is no peace on earth I said
For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men.
The next verse states:
God is not dead, nor doth He sleep.
For wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
with peace on earth, goodwill to men.

(Words of carol by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow,
mid 1800's, i.e. Civil War,
who knew what civil unrest was about firsthand.)
Remember:  God is not dead, nor doth He sleep.
How can right prevail through all this wrong (riots)?
Riots do not solve anything. They only promote what's wrong.
Who will stand up to be another Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.?
Pray, pray, pray for peace.
P.S. If you're at all familiar with the Old Testament, God allowed the people to go their own way. When the people were fed up with difficulties, they turned back to God and God always answered. Present day is no different. The answer is in turning back to God.
If my people, who are called by my name,
will humble themselves
and pray and seek my face
and turn from their wicked ways,
then will I hear from heaven
and will forgive their sin
and will heal their land.
II Chronicles 7:14
We are to humble ourselves, pray, seek, turn.
God will hear, forgive, heal.

P.P.S. I've seen a lot of grumbling about churches being closed during the pandemic, but I've not seen most Christians share their faith on social media. Faith comes by hearing.  How will people hear if we do not share our faith?  The focus on churches being closed was not the right focus.  We are to be the church, as Jesus said "Go into all the world and preach the gospel."  Social media is one of our platforms to share the "Good News."  Simply posting God's promises will encourage one another, which is greatly needed for our peace of heart and mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment