Life is a Garden Party

Saturday, June 20, 2020

Likes


LIKES

I like lilies the best
I most often confess.
Oriental and Asiatic lilies deer seem to like.
I wish those unwelcome deer would take a long, long hike.

The roses are really nice this year.
To me they have become somewhat dear.
Deer like roses I’ve found.
Now no blossoms are found.

Black caps with berries forming
in the midnight breeze honing
now bear no sweet berries for deer
ate them without an ounce of fear.

Sundrops yellow blooms will brighten everyone's day.
Like seeing sunshine even on a rainy day.
Deer ate the bright yellow blooms
one night under the midnight moon.

Evening primrose full of buds tight
ready to open tomorrow night
but deer ate them tonight
in the dark of the night.

I like big hosta leaves.
They seem to please me.
Deer also like hosta leaves.
I’m not at all pleased!

Sunflowers growing tall
beckon to one and all.
Deer will eat tender sunflowers
if you have them in your bower.

The grapevine no longer wears leafs
for deer ate when I was asleep.
If only I knew when they came
I’d go out and call them names.

I like phlox,
a lot.
Deer also favor phlox.
Deer are sly, as a fox.

Brown-eyed susans are a favorite.
They also are the deer favorite.
The perfect solution would be if they only ate weeds.
If so, they and their kin would be most welcome, indeed.

- - - - -

Of deerterrants I do not lack
yet deer seem to keep coming back
to see what I’ve concocted for them out back.
I don’t know if they are does or wear a rack.

Though I've tried to outsmart them,
they are sly like a fox, ahem.
Smarter than I am, for sure.
They keep returning for more.

More snacks, and definitely to see what I've devised
to discourage them from returning, because they're wise.
I imagine they snort and laugh
at my silly, lame antics.

If you would like to bring a nap sack
and stay the night out back
with a bow and arrow packed,
I wouldn’t say no to you, Jack or Zack.

* * * * *

Deer do serve a functional purpose
just as all animals have a use.
They are good in soups and stews
and tasty in meatloaf too.

The Bible even gives you permission
to dine on these bucks and does called venison.
Hooray for the hunters in our nation
who help decrease overpopulation.

These are the animals you may eat:
the ox, the sheep, the goat, the deer, the gazelle, the roe deer,
the wild goad, the ibex, the antelope and the mountain sheep.
Deuteronomy 14:4-5

Didn't jump the neighbor's fence as I was in the yard.

Life Is a Garden Party
is available via Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment