Life is a Garden Party

Friday, August 7, 2020

Toad Abode

 

Toad Abode


Two bricks topped with a flat stone make an abode,

a safe home for a household of garden toads.

Perhaps they'll take cover in this toad abode

when the lawnmower is pushed back and forth and mows,

but quite often they just know

and will follow their nose

to search for toad gold.

Just what is toad gold?


Well, it isn't sold.

It's free, one just knows.

Toads daily look for and slurp this gold

hidden in grass throughout the world.

Under plant's leaves this gold might unfold.

There’s no need to take a census poll.

God provides this load of toad gold,

though some call it gardener's foes.


This free toad gold

might be black as coal.

Usually seen in disguise down by one's toes,

this toad gold might be heaved up by the hoe.

Toad gold is found when seeds are sowed.

Not a welcome sight to behold.

Gardeners are thankful toads

are garden helpers, not foes.



Not as scary as Edgar Allen Poe's

written words in book stores sold,

this toad gold is a toad's -

eureka! - mother lode,

though not the ore gold

to be refined and sold

as coins or blocks of gold.

No, that's not the goal.


Toad

gold

are bugs and slugs, I'm told,

beetles and insects, those foes,

that gardeners throughout the world

are disheartened to behold.

Thankfully, free garden helpers are toads

who slurp their free meals from long tongues rolled...


then take a nap in their toad abode.

Perhaps today you'll make it a goal

to create your own toad abode.

Then create a story that unfolds

for each garden toad

that visits its new abode.

Look. Here comes toad.

He likes his abode.


* * * * *



Our earthly abode is temporal

but there is an abode that’s eternal.

Our eternal home is heaven

when all our sins are forgiven.

Today

just pray,

Dear Jesus, I believe you died for me

long ago on the cross of Calvary

then rose again on the third day

signifying you took my sins away"

because God loved you long before you were born.

In fact, God speaks about you in the book of Psalms. (see below)

That’s it. Your sins are forgiven.

You now have a home in heaven.


You created my inmost being;

you knit me together in my mother's womb.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made;

your works are wonderful, I know that full well.

My frame was not hidden from you

when I was made in the secret place.

When I was woven together in the depths of the earth,

your eyes saw my unformed body.

All the days ordained for me

were written in your book

before one of them came to be.

How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!

How vast is the sum of them!

Were I to count them,

they would outnumber the grains of sand.

Psalm 139:13-18


It is by grace you have been saved through faith.

Ephesians 2:8


Life Is a Garden Party

is available via Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment