Life is a Garden Party

Saturday, September 26, 2020

Deadheading

 

Deadheading


Last night was chilly and cold.

This morning Jack Frost's handiwork seen bestowed.

He left much work to be towed.

Today deadheading what's brown and old.


Hostas, peonies, cone flowers, day lilies, their foliage now black gold

are cut and put in the wheelbarrow until there's a heaping load.

Off to the compost, load after load

over the leaf-strewn grass they're rolled.


Past the burning bush, its foliage now bright red, which stands out bold,

as come autumn its on fire according to the story of old.

Its bright red berries will cling and hold

while the red leaves will soon lose their hold.


This afternoon another load is cut and towed

of perennial sunflowers once gold.

If only a chipper could be bought or sold,

life would be much easier in my world.


There's still beauty to be found as the wheelbarrow is rolled

back and forth this gray afternoon in the chilly cold.

The dogwood now with leaves of red tinged with gold

and the maple trees, half bare, bear leaves of bright gold.


Before I go in, because it's cold,

I'll pull up the carrots, white - not gold.

These October "tricks and treats" make another load

for my favorite toy, my wheelbarrow, to tow.


My ears are cold

and so is my nose

so inside I go to write this prose.

There's still much more to do when not so cold.


Fallen leaves wait another day to be raked and towed

and perhaps one more time the grass will be mowed.

That's what new in my world.

What's new in your world?


* * * * *


I've written about the burning bush before,

but if you're like me, you need a reminder.

When Mosses saw the bush in the desert that was on fire,

he went closer for the bush wasn't burnt by the fire.


The Lord spoke from that bush

with words that today still touch

our hearts with needed reassurance

to build our waning faith and confidence:


I have indeed seen the misery of my people.

I have heard their crying out in their great woe.

I am concerned about their suffering.

So I have come down to rescue them.


These promises from the Lord still hold true

as they daily apply to both me and you.

Yes, you can believe these promises. No matter what you are going through -

God sees, God hears, God is concerned, and He has a plan to rescue you.


That's means YOU!  Personally.

God has a solution already.

Believing God's promises, plus prayer,

will dissipate any burdens you bear.


The secret is in resting

while you're peacefully waiting

for God's plan to unfold

as you "come forth as gold."


The Lord, said, “I have indeed seen the misery of my people in Egypt.

I have heard them crying out because of their slave drivers,

and I am concerned about their suffering.

So I have come down to rescue them from the hand of the Egyptians

and to bring them up out of that land into a good and spacious land,

a land flowing with milk and honey...

Exodus 3:7-8


He knows the way that I take;
when he has tested me,

I will come forth as gold.

Job 23:10



Burning Bush


Life Is a Garden Party

is available via Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment