Life is a Garden Party

Friday, October 29, 2021

MASQUERADE

 

MASQUERADE

There's a party on Saturday.

I plan to dress up silly

or maybe I'll choose spooky.

Perhaps something pretty.



What will I decide to be?

I really can't wait to see.

Will you think I'm cute?

Maybe you'll laugh and hoot.



Will you look afraid

or a little scared?

I'll try to confuse

with what I choose.



Perhaps I'll be a clown.

Should I smile or frown?

A red wig and big shoes?

What get-up should I choose?



I might put on makeup

after I eat my sup

because when I masquerade

I wear a disguise to dissuade.



Or when it's dusk

I'll put on my mask

in order to surprise someone.

I won't tell because I'm mum.



But I'll tell you about my friends.

They're also known as pumpkins.

Have you seen my friends?  They're cool!

They like to masquerade too.



Yesterday my friends were found in a field.

Today they smile with orange teeth drilled.

Maybe they'll look surprised

looking through their two eyes.



All summer long they're known as orange pumpkins.

October 31st they're called jack-o-lanterns.

I like this game of masquerade.

At school there'll be a parade.



The most original might win;

perhaps a big blue ribbon.

They'll be candy corn to eat

as an annual sweet treat.



October 31st is Halloween

when witches with green faces are queen

and orange jack-o-lanterns gleam

when the darkness of night is seen.



* * * * *

Do you tend to masquerade?

Do you pretend, though you are afraid?

Do you wear a disguise

but there's hurt hidden behind your eyes?


Does no one know the real you?

Does no one know when you're blue?

Does depression haunt you

like a bad case of the flu?


One sure way to beat the blues

is to offer praise to God who

has a solution

to all your problems.


You'll find that "giving God the glory"

will bestow blessings and bring glory

to the Almighty Creator of everything, God,

who will always remain with you when life is hard.


You're not alone

with Jesus along.

Wherever you roam

be sure to sing this song:


Safe am I, safe am I,

in the hollow of His hand.

Sheltered o'er, sheltered o'er

with His love forevermore.

No ill can harm me,

no foe alarm me,

for He keeps both day and night.

Safe am I, safe am I,

in the hollow of His hand.

(Mildred Leightner Dillon)


Why are you downcast, O my soul?

Why so disturbed within me?

Put your hope in God,

for I will yet praise him,

my Savior and my God.

My soul is downcast within me;

therefore I will remember you.

Psalm 42:5-6a


I remember my affliction and my wandering,

the bitterness and the gall.

I well remember them,

and my soul is downcast within me.

Yet this I call to mind

and therefore I have hope...

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,

to the one who seeks him;

it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

Lamentations 3:19-20, 25-26


Life Is a Garden Party

is available via Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment