Life is a Garden Party

Thursday, February 3, 2022

THORNS

 

THORNS


Every thorn in life bears a rose.

Beauty from ashes, I suppose.

Verse for many poets’ prose

or so the saying goes.

You need not be old to know,

just smell a rose with your nose.

The thorns will prick and goad.

We forget the lovely rose.


Every lovely rose bears a thorn,

as a rainbow follows a storm.

So next time you’re forlorn,

heartsick, weary, and worn

remember after the storm

one day comes a bright new morn.

The rose with the thorn adorned

reminds us of life – it’s norm.


A lesson from the thorns

perhaps will now be born.

Look beyond the storm

to a bright new morn

where joy adorns

those who are worn.

Beauty from ashes born

out of each of our thorns.


Don’t forget the rose

in front of your nose.

Look beyond the lows.

Don’t dwell on the woes.

A lovely rose knows

one life’s journey goes

from story to prose.

Lovely it grows.


* * * * *


Bad things will happen to good people

for we all go through trials and troubles.


Everyone everywhere bears

heavy heartaches and deep cares.

Everyone everywhere wears

intense sadness mixed with tears.

Sometimes heartaches are not fair.

Ofttimes sadness lasts for years.

Perhaps it’s all we wear.

Sometimes life just isn’t fair.


Life is filled with strife.

Nothing turns out right.

There’s no relief in sight.

Finances are tight.

Perhaps you had a fight.

There’s no longer delight.

You cannot see the light.

When will life be all right?


Problems are temporary.

God's faithfulness is daily.

Focus on what makes you happy.

Don't dwell on whatever adversity.

Do be aware that adversity

is meant for your maturity.

Go to God with your worries.

Your Comforter and Counselor will allay.


If it weren’t for thorns, there would be no roses.

Beauty from ashes. That said, this poem closes.


to give unto them beauty for ashes,

the oil of joy for mourning,

the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness…

Isaiah 61:3 (KJV)


This is call to mind and therefore I have hope.

Because of the Lord's great love we are not consumed,

for his compassions never fail.

They are new every morning;

great is your faithfulness.

I say to myself, "The Lord is my portion;

therefore I will wait for him."

The Lord is good to those whose hope is in him,

to the one who seeks him;

it is good to wait quietly for the salvation of the Lord.

Lamentations 3:21-26


I will turn their mourning into gladness;

I will give them comfort and joy instead of sorrow.

Jeremiah 31:13b


You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness;

therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions

by anointing you with the oil of joy.

Hebrews 1:9


"Because he loves me," says the Lord, "I will rescue him;

I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name.

He will call upon me, and I will answer him;

I will be with him in trouble,

I will deliver him and honor him.

With long life will I satisfy him

and show him my salvation."

Psalm 91:14-16


Story from Life Is a Garden Party Vol IV

available via Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment