Life is a Garden Party

Friday, April 22, 2022

BULLDOZERS

 

TROJAN BULLDOZERS


Moving compost one spring day,

I realized helpers had come to play.

Working under the sun's rays

in the month of May,

I was thankful the compost didn't contain heavy clay

for clay soil would add up to heavy pounds when weighed.


In fact, the compost was nicely aerated that day,

this gardener's "black gold" colored a brown/gray.

Sunny days

like today

had further decayed

vegetation and hay.


I was happy to see these helpers at play.

Hopefully they regard their work as play.

I know children playing in sandboxes would say

playing in dirt is not work at all, but play.

In your mind's eye, can you see them at play

molding and sifting sand the afternoon away.


Overhead I heard blue jays

caw cawing away.

Encouragement to keep moving compost that day,

though after half an hour it no longer felt like play.

But I continued under the sun's morning rays

with my favorite toy, the wheelbarrow, with which I play.


I was so encouraged to see my helpers that day,

now named Trojan bulldozers, a rusty brown, not gray.

They work quietly underground, without wage or pay

giving me yet another reason to be thankful today.

Sometimes after rain you'll see them on the ground lay

or you might smell them when you go out to play.


Who works quietly day and night without pay?

Who is it that wears rusty brown, not gray?

Who are these Trojan bulldozers which underground lay?

That's my pet name for the lowly earthworms at play

who live down underneath compost decayed

making fertile castings for my gardens each May.


(A google search identified “crawlers” not bulldozers.

That’s exactly what my earthworm helpers are – crawlers.

In fact, my Grandfather Janowski had a John Deere crawler

that I operated in grade school as I was the oldest daughter.)


* * * * *


These Trojan bulldozers (crawlers)

are my garden helpers.

There's also a parable

that speaks of a benefactor.


Remember the Good Samaritan parable?

The one who was willing to help despite obstacles?

In fact, the Bible says the Good Samaritan took pity on him.

Another word for pity is sympathy or compassion.


Those who help, show compassion:

in word, and in deed, or action.

Let these examples from the Bible inspire you

to help others in whatever they're going through.


Do not let unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,

but only what is helpful for building others up

according to their needs,

that it may benefit those who listen.

Ephesians 4:29


...who was always doing good and helping the poor.

Act 9:36


In everything I did,

I showed you that by this kind of hard work

we must help the weak,

remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said:

'It is more blessed to give than to receive.'

Acts 20:35


In the church God has appointed...those able to help others...

I Corinthians 12:28


I know your eagerness to help,

and I have been boasting about it...were ready to give;

and your enthusiasm has stirred most of them to action.

II Corinthians 9:2


Is well known for her good deeds,

such as...showing hospitality,

helping those in trouble

and devoting herself to all kinds of good deeds.

I Timothy 5:10


If one falls down, his friend can help him up.

Ecclesiastes 4:10


Be sure to read this verse from Deuteronomy.

Maybe even commit it to memory.

Every time you look up in the clouds

remember to thank God out loud...


for being there to help you through,

for each day brings troubles anew,

meant to teach us to have faith and trust

in God who knows what's best for us.


There is no one like the God of Israel

who rides on the heavens to help you

and on the clouds in his majesty.

The eternal God is your refuge,

and underneath are the everlasting arms.

Deuteronomy 33:26-27


The eyes of the Lord range throughout the earth

to strengthen/help those whose hearts are fully committed to him.

II Chronicles 16:9


Who would have thought to correlate lowly earthworms

and the Good Samaritan parable into one

cohesive thought process about being helpers?

How has God gifted you to be a helper?


Did you have opportunity to edify someone today

or sent a note of encouragement in the mail, say?

Perhaps you were able to share,

for giving shows you care.


And at the end of the day

when you take a minute to pray,

do thank God for helping you

throughout the whole day through.


Didn't have a photo of an earthworm,

but did have one of a bluejay.  


Story from Life Is a Garden Party, Vol IV,

available via Amazon.



2 comments:

  1. Thank you for more beautiful expressions of His love for us, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TY for taking the time to read. I know I can be wordy. I never know how "the Spirit" leads when I start. Sometimes wonder if others can follow my train of thought. On the 21st I had like 80 clicks on the blog. Looked to see which countries and Canada had the most, even before the US. Trusting my simple words will encourage someone.

      Delete