Life is a Garden Party

Friday, August 18, 2023

ME, ME, ME

 

Me, Me, Me


Summer days brings hours of berry picking.

Sweetened by the sun, just right for picking.

Best eaten alfresco

in the great outdoors,

although the intent is to fill the freezer

to enjoy the fruits of summer this winter.


Quiet, except for the hum of the bees.

Warm, although there's a breeze through the leaves of the trees.

Succulent, these pretty round jewels in red, black, or blue.

Antioxidants designed to give good health to you.

Tasty, one for now and two for later.

Enjoying the luscious fruits of summer.


The quiet is rudely dispelled

when someone repeatedly yells

"me, me, me."

Someone I can't see.

This "me, me, me"

is from someone greedy.


When this someone was a baby

their plea was "me, me, me."

Now someone is grown and their "me, me, me"

is loud, rude, increasingly greedy.

This someone had previously found the ripened berries

and doesn't want to share with anyone, not hardly.


"Me, me, me" as in mine.

"Me, me, me" is whined.

Although not human, this someone

acts just like us humans often.

For more often than not our words, thoughts, and deeds

center around me, me, me; yes, indeed.



There, up in the tree top is this noisemaker.

Although, here, in our heart we're often self-centered.

Seed-eating birds don’t want to share the berries.

Unfortunately, greed in our heart often tarries.

Birds have much to teach us.

To share, without making a fuss.


* * * * *


Greed, at its basic definition is idolatry, it's putting self first.

We learn greed is never satisfied, it leaves you with an unfulfilled thirst.

There's much that lures.

We want more, more, more.


The opposite of selfish greed

is to plant unselfish seeds

that will greatly encourage someone in need -

rather physical or emotional needs.


A helping hand, a listening ear,

transportation somewhere - each is dear.

You need not expend a lot of money,

time spent turns someone's spirit of gloom sunny.


Being consumed with "me, me, me" becomes quite unfulfilling.

Being concerned about anothers’ comfort is always fulfilling.

Don't be like the bird who doesn't want to share.

Exchange greed for an outlook that shows you care.


Watch out! Be on your guard against all kinds of greed;

a man's life does not consist in the abundance of his possessions.

Luke 12:15


But among you there must not be even a hint...of greed,

because these are improper for God's holy people.

Ephesians 5:3


Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature:

...greed, which is idolatry.

Colossians 3:5


For of this you can be sure:

An immoral, impure or greedy person - is an idolater.

Ephesians 5:5


Pink Raspberries


Life Is a Garden Party

is available via Amazon.


3 comments:

  1. Sharing, caring, giving away, helping, etc as your post declares, brings so much back to us in rich blessings from God, including the all-natural kind ... the release of those 'feel good' hormones - endorphins, serotonin, and dopamine in the brain which boosts happiness for us as well as the people we help. Thank you, dear sister!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Two giving friends are helping with transportation to dr appts this week and next week. Can't wait for our visits. Friends are gifts from God.

      Delete