Life is a Garden Party

Saturday, January 24, 2015

Side-by-Side

Side-by-side two blue jays built a nest
where one day two little eggs would rest.
Side-by-side they worked together without rest
until they were satisfied with their twig nest.

Side-by-side two little eggs lay
together there on the twigs and hay.
Side-by-side these little speckled eggs stay
as their mother sits on them day after day.

Side-by-side two babies abide
with hungry mouths open wide.
Together they squeak - "me, me, me" side-by-side.
Together under the foliage they hide.

Together their parents feed them
and are often heard singing to them.
Together, side-by-side, they tend.
Daily, over and over again.

Side-by-side these babies sat through the rain or dew,
through several hot, humid days or when a breeze blew.
Side-by-side they peeped and cooed
as their parents fed them anew.

Together whatever betides,
there they sit in their nest side-by-side
getting bigger every day as they hide
not knowing one day they are meant to fly.

How fast these babies grew.
So fast, one day they flew.
Yes, what they did was something new
for it was the first time they flew.

First one than the other,
these birds with blue feathers
left the nest as their father and mother
stayed nearby as nighttime quickly gathered.

Eventually they were together again.
Side-by-side they sat as it began to rain.
Under the big leaf of the angel trumpet the came
side-by-side to spend the long, dark night out of the rain.

Side-by-side they stretch and spread their wings
waiting for their tail feathers to grow in.
Side-by-side their parents watched over them.
From time-to-time dinner they would bring.

Side-by-side these two siblings
would tentatively try their wings.
Side-by-side they remained - kin,
together through thick and thin.

Side-by-side, together -
whatever the weather.
Side-by-side, together -
these birds of a feather.

* * * * *

There is One who is always with you
as you learn God is faithful through and through.
He'll remain by your side
when you in Him abide.

There is One who will strengthen you
through whatever you're going through -
constantly side-by-side
whatever betides.

There is One who will help you
when you haven't a clue.
Throw away your pride.
Learn to see His side.

There is One who will uphold you
when no one else defends you.
He's always there with arms open wide
and will remain with you side-by-side.

Do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Isaiah 41:10

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

The stories I share are true stories.  This blue jay family resided in the juniper.  I watched the fledglings leave their nest.  Their parents were on guard to bomb me when I got too close irregardless of my talking with them daily.  I saw the babies roost on the back of the lawn chair under the angel trumpet leaves that night.  The next day there was a ruckus of crows.  I ran out to chase the crows away without realizing they had a baby blue jay cornered.  In checking on the baby, a flock of blue jays rushed in to bomb me.  Blue jay parents are very protective.  Be sure to give them their space.  


No comments:

Post a Comment