Life is a Garden Party

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Hotels

Someone is heard getting ready to go to sleep.
The night air is filled with a chorus of chirps and tweets.
A songfest echoes through the evergreen trees
as twitters answer or maybe flirts tease.

After the winter, long and cold,
a welcome singsong unfolds
before their bedtime
this March eve'ntime.

Too soon to start to build a nest home,
will these tweeters spend the night alone?
Or will they huddle together to keep warm
huffing out their feathers as insulation?

Will they roost in the boughs of the evergreens?
Will birds flock together and form a team?
Will their hotel be rent free
offering charity?

What will they do?  Where will they go
for tomorrow morning there will be snow?
Do birds have a 6th sense
as winter does commence?

For sure a silence will descend
for tomorrow no songs will be sung
as new snow quietly falls
and piles over all.

Do these song birds know
there's going to be snow?
Are they putting on a show
before more snow is sowed?

Tonight their chirps and tweets are enjoyed,
reminding me of the Walton's John Boy
and his clan as they retired for the night -
good night Jim Bob, good night Erin, good night.

* * * * *

One morning last summer when I was walking
I disturbed a hotel of birds sleeping.
Out of the small bush a large flock of birds
into the early morning atmosphere soared.

They must have huddled close together
there in that small bush as nighttime gathered
for they were too numerous to count
when that morning they flew out and about.

They left their hidden place of shelter
flying into the wild blue yonder
to do what they do best -
to sing songs of request.

David once made a request
to be like a dove at rest
but he also came to realize in his stress
it would be God who would hear and save him from distress.

Yes, the Lord is on your side,
whatever does betide.
You need not fear
for God is near.

Oh, that I had the wings of a dove!
I would fly away and be at rest -
I would flee far away and stay in the desert;
I would hurry to my place of shelter,
far from the tempest and storm...
But I call to God, and the Lord saves me.
Evening, morning and noon
I cry out in distress, and he hears my voice.
He ransoms me unharmed
from the battle waged against me,
even though many oppose me.
Psalm 55:6-8, 16-18

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

No comments:

Post a Comment