Life is a Garden Party

Friday, July 24, 2015

Rich

After a trip to the local plant nursery
pricing their flowering inventory,
I've come to realize
how very rich am I!

A gallon container is marked $9.99 or more.
My garden must contain one hundred or more
plants to fill recycled containers -
with more by the end of summer.

At one time a dozen daffodils were purchased.
Today I have hundreds to be divided up.
Some are transplanted, though most are given away,
as bulbs are dug up late spring after blooms fade away.

A flat of creeping myrtle acquired.
Now more than enough have sired.
Though it provides year-round greenery,
it's growing outside its boundaries.

One tri-lobe rudbeckia has netted dozens
to be dug up and shared with others often.
A 4" pot of campanulas have multiplied
and multiplied growing outside their bed, oh my!

Three raspberries canes have expanded
into a bed of dozens of canes.
Due to this year's favorable weather,
there's now a shelf full in the freezer.

A dozen strawberry plants have run
outside of the frame that contains them.
I'll share with you
if you'd like me to.

One fuzzy leafed lamb's ears was given to me.
Now there's more than I can count, fortunately.
There's enough to share with you all,
sending everyone home with a box full.

One purple cone flower has self-seeded.
These new plants have now been relocated
filling in for free
saving much money.

There are gallons and gallons
of feverfew and lemon balm
to be dug up and shared.
You're welcome to take a pair.

I give away trays of pink ajuga,
creeping sedum, korean bells campanula,
to add to a friendship garden and saving someone a fistful of dollars.
You'll find too much of a good thing can make one hot under the collar.

Not only do I have an over-abundance of bulbs and plants,
I collect dried seeds from these flowering plants.
If you come to a book signing,
with free seeds you'll be leaving.

I believe my yard has more value than the house.
I hope the assessor doesn't take this into account.
How rich am I?  Too poor to buy more
but rich enough to give away more, more, more.

* * * * *

Those who are generous
will be abundantly blessed
becoming a blessing to others
by sharing with one another.

Good will come to him who is generous and lends freely.
Psalm 112:5

A generous man will prosper;
he who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.
Proverbs 11:25

A generous man will himself be blessed.
Proverbs 22:0

...to do good, to be rich in good deeds,
and to be generous and willing to share.
I timothy 6:18

Give, and it will be given to you.
A good measure, pressed down,
shaken together and running over,
will be poured into your lap.
Luke 6:38



To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.

No comments:

Post a Comment