Life is a Garden Party

Friday, July 10, 2015

Strongholds

A sunny spring afternoon
weeds await, to be soon doomed.
Each and every plume
will be gone soon.

Down on my knees
watching out for bees
these unwanted weeds wee
will no longer be.

Armed with the dandelion digger
and gloves covering ten fingers
these weeds will be uprooted.
Something you don't mind looted.

A yank, a tug, a pull
and soon one and all
of these unwanted weeds will
the wheelbarrow fill.

This afternoon's sun will warm
after yesterday's rain storm.
There's even some brown earthworms
for fishing tomorrow morn.

A yank, but no movement.
A tug, but nothing bent.
A pull, but not a dent.
Would I, would you, vent?

My fingers seem weak
as my hands seek
to tweak
these roots deep.

I'm annoyed.
But wait, a ploy.
The dandelion digger is employed.
Out comes the root, yes!  Success is enjoyed.

The wheelbarrow is filled
as several songbirds fill
my ears with trills
as I weed at will.

Though many are pulled up today
more will appear another day
as each day's sun's rays
entice more weeds to stay.

Weeds, or strongholds,
if truth be told,
take hold
and grow bold.

Before long
my strength is gone.
Unwanted in my garden, weeds don't belong
but will continue to grow big and strong.

* * * * *

In life there is a positive Stronghold
and there are many negative strongholds.
The positive stronghold
is Jesus Christ the Lord.
A would-be negative stronghold
is an an addiction (bad habit) that takes hold.

Jesus, our (+) Stronghold, on whom we can depend,
is able to help us defeat any (-) strongholds when
we rely on Him
to always defend
by believing in God's power to conquer sin -
not our own limited power within.  Amen.

The Lord is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer;
my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge,
my shield and the horn of my salvation.
He is my stronghold, my refuge and my savior.
II Samuel 22:2-3

The Lord is a refuge for the oppressed,
a stronghold in times of trouble.
Those who know your name will trust in you,
for you, Lord, have never forsaken those who seek you.
Psalm 9:9-10

For though we live in the world,
we do not wage war as the world does.
The weapons we fight with are not the weapon of the world.
On the contrary, they have divine power to demolish strongholds.
II Corinthians 10:3-4

You, dear children, are from God
and have overcome them,
because the one who is in you
is greater than the one who is in the world.
I John 4:4

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol II
go to WestBow Press, Amazon or B&N.

To order Life Is a Garden Party, Vol I
go to Amazon or B&N.


No comments:

Post a Comment