Life is a Garden Party

Friday, May 19, 2017

At Rainbow's End 5/19/17

Finally...after days of too cold, too rainy, too busy, too hot, a day to start the edging.
Edging done with shovel and hoe - and woman power.  Four flower garden beds were edged today.   The green on these stones are maple seedlings.  Super abundant this year.

All work and no play isn't healthy, so played with stones as well.



When I started this morning, saw crows gathering nesting materials.
Went to get camera which scattered the crows.

Noticed poppies had begun to pop overnight:


As orange and purple is my favorite color combination in the garden,
thought I would sprinkle allium seeds in with the poppies once the alliums go to seed.
One thing to bear in mind when planning your garden is to consider which plants bloom
at the same time.  In the past I noticed that poppies and iris bloom at the same time
so planted those in the same bed.  Alliums also bloom when poppies do.


Simply allow these seed heads to dry, than scatter the black seeds which will form bulbs.
I cut off the dried seedheads to share.  Love the architectural interest in the meantime.  Like fireworks.

Daisies have taken over many empty spaces, creating a field of dreams:

(I'm thinking this photo is upside down.)

Jack-in-the-pulpit:


Noticed the snowball bushes have been attacked by caterpillars.  :-(

First blooms on wisteria this morning:

Rhodo in bloom too:

Every day there's something new here at Rainbow's End
where everyday there's something to tend -
involving digging, lugging, bending, lifting... Since I have no tractor,
I'll be making an appointment to see Linda, my chiropractor.

No comments:

Post a Comment