Life is a Garden Party

Wednesday, July 10, 2019

Hummers


HUMMERS

I was almost bombed tonight
when a hummingbird set his sights
on my red shirt
while I was digging in the dirt.

We had a stare down
before he turned around
to sit on the garden fence.
I watched what would circumvent.

It spit twice.
Was that nice?
Then caught a gnat.
How about that!

Little did we know
that lurking was a foe
or maybe it was a date
who was looking for a mate.

Perhaps a mating dance ensued
then maybe a proposal pursued.
Its little head turned right and left.
I wonder if it had any sense left.

For I was dizzy
from the activity.
Then off they went
across the fence.

One was female.
Was the other male?
I did notice their emerald colored tails
as the sun shone on them in my little dale.

Up into the sky they flew
with wings of emerald too.
I'm sure they will be back
for I have bee balm out back.

* * * * *

Red bee balm attracts hummers
and bees who are also hummers.
All day long singing can be heard
from humming bees and singing birds.

Take a minute to listen.
Perhaps this minute will lessen
any frustration
you're possessing.

As the birds and bees work
take time from your busy work
to enjoy God's wondrous innovation
for it is for you, this work of creation.

Do you not know?
Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God,
the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary
and increases the power of the weak...
those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint.
Isaiah 40:28-29,31

Though this story was written years ago,
yesterday I read the above scriptures again and noticed
"his understanding no one can fathom."
Whatever you're going through, God understands.
Tell Him about it.  And if you can't put it into words,
God will understand.


Life Is a Garden Party
is available via Amazon.

No comments:

Post a Comment