Life is a Garden Party

Sunday, December 8, 2019

Abiding


ABIDING

Shepherds abiding
all night residing
on the hill
where moonlight spills,
when suddenly the night sky
is filled with angels who fly.

That dark sky was lit, we are told,
with the glory of the Lord.
The shepherds were afraid,
in fact terrified,
but the angel said, “do not fear”
and spoke these words loud and clear:

“I bring you good news of great joy
that will be for all the people.
Today in the town of David a Savior has been born to you;
he is Christ the Lord. This will be a sign to you:
You will find a baby wrapped in cloths and lying in a manger.”

After hearing these joyful words
these surprised and stunned shepherds,
filled with awesome wonder,
hurried to find the manger.
We read they did not tarry.
In fact, they quickly hurried.

They wanted to know if what the angel said was true,
for it seemed to them to be too good to be true.
It was just as the Lord’s glorious heavenly messenger said -
as they did find the newborn baby in a manger bed!
Because it was true they told everyone what they had seen and heard
before they returned to the distant hillside to tend to their herds.

These abiding shepherds were insistent
when they affirmed this awesome event.
Is it because of their persistence the Christmas story is everlasting?
Yes, these abiding shepherds had a part in history that remains enduring
for today the Lord Jesus Christ’s, the Savior’s, birth
is celebrated throughout the whole universe.

The shepherds returned to their abiding
filled with much glorifying and praising
for all the things they had seen and heard
which was just as they had been told.
I'm sure they were never again the same
for after seeing the Christ (Messiah) they were changed.

These abiding shepherds saw and believed
and wanted everyone else to believe.
As they continued to abide in the fields
I'm certain they also remained filled
with all that the Lord Jesus Christ represents -
God's promised Savior, the first Christmas present.

* * * * *

Though the story is old
its truth is never old.
The truth is still the same today
as it was those many yesterdays.
The Savior has come.
Is he welcomed?

Jesus Christ can abide in your heart
if you ask Him to come in, just start
by praying “Dear Heavenly Father,
I realize I was born a sinner
but by your grace my sins can be washed away
so I ask your forgiveness right now, today.

I believe you died on the cross
to take my punishment. It cost
me nothing for you paid everything
so all my wrong doings to you I bring.
From now on for you I want to live.
My life, as it is, to you I give."

Such a simple prayer
the Lord will hear
and then abide in you
and help you each day anew
as you abide in Him.
He's waiting to come in.

The shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God
for all the things they had heard and seen,
which were just as they had been told.
Luke 2:20

See that what you have heard from the beginning
remains (abides) in you.
If it does, you also will remain (abide)
in the Son and in the Father.
And this is what he promised us – even eternal life.
I John 2:24-25



No comments:

Post a Comment