Life is a Garden Party

Friday, August 27, 2021

GREEN THUMB

 

GREEN THUMB?


Have you ever seen a gardener’s green thumb?

I haven’t yet. I tend to have a brown one.

A brown thumb will the dry brown earth comb.

No weeds will escape from a brown thumb – none.


A brown thumb plants seeds and seedlings. Vegetation will come.

While this gardener is planting, you might hear me hum.

I’m planning for harvest and thinking yum yum.

I know that blessings from the Lord will soon come.


A brown thumb divides plants to share with someone.

A brown thumb will grow flowering mums.

How would I clean my well-earned brown thumb?

Scrubbing and washing dishes helps some.


I also tend to wear two green and brown knees.

I don’t intend for this to happen to me

but each year another pair of jeans

ends up sporting green and brown stained knees.


It’s so much easier to weed down on my knees.

I can pull out the tall grass and little weeds wee.

I can listen to the bees

and grubs in the soil see.


When I’m done with the weeding, I’ll be pleased.

I take a moment to stand back and look, see -

my hard work paid off and thankful I will be

for being able to get up off my knees.


A brown thumb and green knees are a sure dividend

of a dedicated gardener like me.

Next time you’re at the nursery, make friends

with those who sport brown thumbs and green knees.


* * * * *


You and I are fearfully and wonderfully made

for on the 6th day of creation plans were laid

to create male and female,

to be born without any ails.


Yet, sin entered in

with aches and pains.

Sin was the original cause of pain,

though it has been said there’s no gain without pain.


Gardener’s know this to be true

for at the end of the day

when they finally sit down to survey

they creak and snap and have a few aches too.


So God created man in his own image,

in the image of God he created him;

male and female he created them.

Genesis 1:27


"Cursed is the ground because of you;

through painful toil you will eat of it all the days of your life.

It will produce thorns and thistles for you,

and you will eat the plants of the field.

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food

until you return to the ground,

since from it you were taken;

for dust you are and to dust you will return."

Genesis 3:17b-19


Story from Vol IV Life Is a Garden Party

available via Amazon.


No comments:

Post a Comment