Life is a Garden Party

Friday, August 6, 2021

HUMMERS

 

HUMMERS


When hummers come

to watch is fun.

They dip

then sip.

Zip zip

wings flick.

                  Gone quick.

Visiting the trumpet vine

at set times while the sun shines

into red clusters they dip,

from trumpet flowers they sip.

Then hummers zip quick.

Do they wear lipstick

on their lips?

Who knows, they’re quick.

I’ve seen them sit

on the fence for a minute.

As soon as I approach – zip

off quick

they went.

Zip zip!

They’ll be back soon

when bee balm blooms.

Several will dine

all at one time

in citrus-scented blossoms.

I’m delighted they remember me

and I’m glad when hummers I see.

I hear one now.

There he is – wow!

Dip.

       Sip.

Zip!


* * * * *


Be sure to take time from your busy day

to enjoy God’s great creation today.

Creation was designed with you in mind

because God the Creator is so kind.


Whether it be birds singing

or hummingbirds zipping,

birds have much to teach us.

Especially to learn to trust.


Do you realize birds do not gather

or store up for their future.

They do not worry; even before receiving, they sing a song of thankfulness.

Another lesson: we should also start our day with a song of gratefulness.


The birds of the air nest by the waters;

they sing among the branches.

Psalm 104:12


Even the sparrow has found a home,

and the swallow a nest for herself,

where she may have her young.

Psalm 84:3a


Look at the birds of the air;

they do not sow or reap or store away in barns,

and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.

Are you not much more valuable than they?

Matthew 6:26


You are worth more than many sparrows.

Matthew 10:31



Life Is a Garden Party

is available via Amazon.


I've learned how to take photos of hummingbirds. If I approach one - zip! He's gone quick with just a flick. But, if I sit under the tree and wait, they don't seem to be bothered by me. It is a lesson in patience, let me make that clear. By the time I zoom then focus, it has zipped to another flower.


Hummingbirds favorite color is red. They especially like red bee balm. There's also red trumpet vine and red geraniums to dine on. When I share red bee balm, I tell the recipients to be sure to plant where they can watch the hummingbirds dine.


My herb garden is planted next to the fenced in vegetable garden. Quite often after a hummer dines, he'll sit on the wire fence for half a minute. That makes a good photo opportunity.


Regarding photo opportunities for birds in the sunflowers, I've found I also have to hide behind something for as soon as I approach they flock away. Last year morning glories sprung up along the vegetable garden fence. The morning glories were very prolific in the composted soil and made a good buffer to capture songbirds in the sunflowers.

No comments:

Post a Comment