Life is a Garden Party

Sunday, January 22, 2023

LEGACY

This verse came to mind this morning after learning about another passing.  Have sent out several sympathy cards this winter.


Think how you have instructed many,

how you have strengthened feeble hands.

Your words have supported those who stumbled;

you have strengthened faltering knees.

Job 4:3-4


Job's friend, Eliphaz, spoke the above about Job.  What an example to emulate!

Job was known for:

- his wisdom

- being respected

- being an encourager

- being there when needed

- looked up to

- and so much more, as depicted in the book of Job.

Chapter 1 tells how Job regularly (v 5) prayed for his children.

Chapters record Job talking with God and God answering.  Take note of Chapter 38:1 - the Lord answered Job "out of the storm"!  What storm are you currently facing?  Have you sought God IN your storm?  

In Chapter 42 God asked Job to pray for his friends for not speaking what was right about God's ways.  Verse 10 states that Job prayed for his friends.

Job was a man of prayer.  

In the New Testament James mentions Job's perseverance.  (5:11)

Job persevered despite:

- painful emotional and physical suffering

- not knowing God allowed suffering

- worldly/ungodly advice from friends, including his wife, who all found fault

Job was a man of unwavering faith - I KNOW that my redeemer lives! (19:25)

I know that my Redeemer lives,

and that in the end he will stand upon the earth.

And after my skin has been destroyed,

yet in my flesh I will see God.

I myself will see him with my own eyes.

How my heart yearns within me!

Job 19:25-27

In the end, God blessed him even more than previously because of his unwavering faith.


What will my legacy be?  What will your legacy be?  Known for being an encourager?  Known for being a faithful pray-er?  One of unwavering faith, despite suffering?


Flower:  angel trumpet.

No comments:

Post a Comment