Life is a Garden Party

Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Seed Catalogs

After the busyness and festivities of Christmas die down
it's time to take a few minutes for myself and finally sit down
with various seed catalogs in hand
as this year's garden is being planned.

A snowy day in January I ordered seeds
from a seed catalog - in January, indeed!
I'm getting a head start
before the new season starts.

It's been two months now without tending to gardening.
Everything in the catalogs look promising.
I've missed digging in the dirt
though I forget sometimes it hurts.

My order is made out.
With vegetable seeds I start.
Before my list is done,
I add zinnias for fun.

Did you know zinnia means 'thinking of you'
and are a butterfly favorite too.
Zinnias have a long season
and their price is in reason.

Cosmos, too, catch my attention.
A magnet for bees each season.
It's hard to decide on only one package
as each year more hybrids are packaged.

Of mesclan, a package for early and late
for tender lettuce will bolt in the heat.
In shades or red and green.
Said to keep one lean.

Two packages of fast-growing spinach too
to plant one early and another later due to
spinach grows better in cooler weather.
Filled with nutrients, spinach is a winner.

Rainbow chard also catches my attention
though in the past devoured by a 'possum.
I think I'll try rainbow chard again
as that 'possum will not return again.

I'll grow snow peas up a fence
then sit outside on the bench
on a sunny day out back
to eat raw as a snack

Cucumbers come burp-less or not to eat.
I ordered a package of straights this week.
English cucumbers are a treat.
Those I share with will appreciate.

Winter squash will taste great
though squash bugs I've come to hate.
Both butternut and buttercup I seek -
for myself, to share, and for dog treats.

Can't wait for zucchini and summer squash.
Every other day I'll pick - a must.
To grill or grate then cupcakes bake.
It's a vegetable or a dessert when baked.

Then there are the beans.
I order pole beans.
Have to have some wax beans
otherwise known as yellow beans.

Root vegetables are ordered in January too.
There's carrots and beets in every color except blue.
My fun purchase this year will be long beans.
I'll need to make a trellis of branches leaned.

Yukon gold potatoes will complete my list
though there is much which I covet and wish.
Well, that should do it for now.
In four months it'll be time to plow.

Should I receive another catalog
I'll take  few minutes to browse
as I dream of a summer's day
when I can dig in the dirt and play.

* * * * *

Seed catalogs are my wish books.
Filled with temptation when I look.
I always order something fun
to show visitors when they come.

You'll find gardening is fun
and will keep one young
as yearly hope is renewed
in little seed packages new.

...a time to plant,
and a time to pluck up
that which is planted...
Ecclesiastes 3:2


2 comments:

  1. Ms. Judy, this is wonderful!!! I love the descriptive words and phrases and how you have brought each seed to life. I will be so excited to see pictures of your garden!! I also love how you always glorify our Savior in each entry. I am very excited and happy for you!! May GOD Bless your writing and you always. <3 Nita

    ReplyDelete